August 14, 2009

Bewitched

I was looking through the paper today in the Weekend section and an ad for the latest Harry Potter movie got me thinking. So many of my Christian brothers and sisters enjoy these movies that I wonder if they consider the ramifications of viewing this type of entertainment. I think they forget that wizardry, witchcraft, sorcery, or divination are vile practices. They chalk it up to being "harmless entertainment".

Deuteronomy 18:9-13 says, "
When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in a]">[a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. 13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God."

I think the same can be said for t.v. shows like Wizards of Waverly Place. It all seems like harmless fun. But really, it's not. If we begin to see such things as harmless fun, then where do we draw the line? It sets us on a path of accepting all kinds of different behaviors because they are portrayed in a funny, light-hearted way. Why are we so quick to accept wizards and witches, but not homosexuals? What about a show where the characters are promiscuous, or thieves, or doing drugs? Are we to accept it as long as it's made to be cute or funny? Should not all sin be considered detestable?

The best way we can teach our children of what is acceptable or not is to lead by example. If we show them that these things are not acceptable, they will learn. On the other hand, if we allow them to sit and watch programs or movies that portray these things as acceptable and fun, they will learn them to be acceptable and fun.

What if you don't have kids? Is it okay because you're not setting an example? The Bible also instructs us in this for our own personal well-being. Philippians 4:8 reads: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

If you are unsure about whether or not something is good, think about how you feel when you are watching, reading, or listening to it. Do you feel good, or positive? Or are you left feeling rebellious, angry, or just overall kind of yucky?

Years ago I took a liking to Metallica. I could not get enough of them. I would put the tape in my tape player in my car and blast the speakers. I just loved it! But I found myself getting increasingly angry and impatient, just hoping for someone to get in my way or push the wrong button. I finally realized that this was not healthy and put a stop to listening to their music. I gave my Metallica tapes and CD's away. Immediately, I stopped having those angry feelings.

I hope you are encouraged by this and it gives you pause to think about what you are ingesting into your mind and heart.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: