February 14, 2012

Veggie Stir Fry

I adapted this super easy recipe from one we already make, which is fried rice. When I make fried rice, I usually start by making rice pilaf with rice, onions, garlic, and chicken broth. Then for the "fried" part, there was usually chopped chicken, lots of veggies, and eggs.

For this version, I made plain rice with veggie broth. Then I used the same process, without adding chicken or eggs.

There are a couple tricks to making fried rice, or authentic Chinese stir fry (authentic meaning, like you would get at a Chinese fast food joint).

The first trick is to use a wok. You can use a large, non-stick skillet, but the veggies tend to steam in it instead of fry, so there is a lot more moisture.

The second trick is just using a bit of sesame oil with regular veggie oil, and also some ginger. I keep a jar of minced ginger in the fridge because it comes in handy. You can also keep fresh ginger in the freezer and grate it when needed.

In this stir fry, I had red and green bell peppers, a head of cauliflower, a couple stalks of celery, two carrots, mushrooms and two jalapenos.


You can pretty much put in there whatever you like. I usually use broccoli and scallions, but I wanted to use cauliflower instead this time just for something different. I also usually have a yellow onion in there, but this time I didn't because I used up all the onions. ("You used up all the onions, on PURPOSE!")

Before you start the stir fry, you have to par-boil the cauliflower. You basically boil it for a few minutes and then immediately drain it and rinse it with cold water to stop it from cooking. This process guarantees it will be cooked and tender, but not mutilated baby food.

Once everything is chopped, diced, sliced, and ready to go, you heat up the wok on medium-high heat. Add some canola oil and a little bit of sesame oil (not too much, because it can quickly overpower all other flavors). Start by sauteing the garlic and ginger to flavor the oil a bit, but don't let them burn! Then you add all the other ingredients and just stir fry until they are the desired consistency.


You finish this off by flavoring it with some soy sauce, to your desired flavor. I usually just squirt the bottle into the pan until I think it's enough, but I kind of like a lot. You probably will want to add it little by little until it's flavored the way you like.

Now it's the best part... plating this beautiful concoction.


Make it all comfy cozy on top of a fluffy bed of rice, top it off with a little soy sauce (yes, more, because I like it, okay!), and then chow down!

1 comment: