February 2, 2012

Going Green

.... as in veggie. Yep, I never thought it would happen, but we have decided to change our diet to a mostly plant-based diet. Let me clarify.

This does not mean we're Vegan, although there is nothing wrong with being Vegan. I actually think it's a very good lifestyle to follow (to a point). I just don't want to create confusion, or to ruffle any feathers of those who are truly Vegan by claiming to be Vegan and not being truly Vegan.

Confused? Of course you are. When I say mostly plant-based diet, I mean that for the most part we are following a Vegan diet, but are not sticking to some of the ideals that most Vegans follow. We will still eat meat, occasionally. Some call this being Flexitarian, so maybe that's what we are. I choose not to label ourselves.

I also don't want to give the impression that we are changing our diet to save animals. It's a noble concept and I do feel that factory farming can be absolutely disgusting and atrocious. But I also believe that God has told us that we can eat meat if we want to, so I see no problem with it. In fact, I think meat tastes good.

We came to the decision to change our diet (finally) after watching the documentary Forks Over Knives. We had already considered the idea of going veggie before, but could not find the motivation to really commit. This documentary changed our perspective on food and gave us the motivation to change.

We started this right before Christmas and have continued. Honestly, it has been easier than I thought it would be. We are already used to cooking foods from scratch and trying a wide variety of recipes. We can whip up a batch of fried rice that is better than most restaurants! The hardest part about it is finding options for lunch, and eating out. But overall we have been doing great, feeling great, and losing weight.

So I will be writing about some of the recipes we try, how they turn out, sharing pictures, and hopefully encouraging others to give it a try.

No comments: