May 5, 2011

I'm Bustin!

When we first began home schooling three years ago, my daughter, Gabby, was behind in math. I discovered that instead of being at 4th grade level where she should have been, she was barely at a 2nd grade level. She struggled with simple addition and subtraction problems. I was trying to teach her multiplication, but she didn't understand it. She was frustrated and embarrassed, and she cried over math often.

We ended up starting from scratch and I showed her what addition and subtraction are for, how they work, and we just practiced, practiced, practiced. Gradually she began moving forward and further ahead.

We are now finishing up our third year of home schooling. She'll be in 7th grade next year (7th grade!). After researching what we will be using next year, I found a math program that I thought looked like an excellent program. But I wasn't quite sure if she was ready for the 7th grade level or not. So I gave her the placement test.

I'm proud to report that next year, my 7th grade daughter will be doing 7th grade math! I am just busting with pride! I'm so happy and happy for her. Gone are the days of crying over math (well, until we get to Geometry).

I'm also very thankful that God has provided me the opportunity to home school so that I can guarantee that my children are comprehending what they are being taught. There are so many other reasons that I'm glad I home school, but today, this one stands out to me!

Thank you also to everyone who has supported us and encouraged us. It is very easy to criticize and laugh at the "weirdos" who don't want their kids in school. I'm so blessed to have the support of my family and friends!

1 comment:

John said...

Good job Diana. I would tell you that I would help with Geometry, but I learned my lesson with Julie when she was in High School. She wanted help with"geometry" but it wasn't like any I had ever seen before. I thought geometry was angles et. NOT!