June 10, 2012

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas with Beans

I love that my husband is so creative! Once in a while, I find a creative spark and I can change a recipe a little, or come up with something different. But he does it all the time, and I reap all the benefits!

This creation was another one of his ideas. We were trying to come up with a dinner menu for the week, and were tired of the same old we've been having. We have a lot of great recipes that are favorites, but sometimes you just need something else.

So he came up with the idea of fajitas made with portabella mushrooms instead of steak or chicken. Let me tell you, they were FANTASTIC! Here's a picture of my plate. I couldn't wait to try them, as you can see.




I had a couple requests for the recipe, so here it is. Forgive me if it's a little vague.

Portabella Mushroom Fajitas
serves 6

Ingredients

6 Portabella mushrooms (about one per person, stemmed and cleaned
1 Red bell pepper, sliced
1 Yellow onion, saute cut
2 Green bell peppers, or Poblano peppers, sliced
Flour Tortillas, fajita size
2 Tbsp. canola oil
Seasonings
1 tsp. Cumin
2 Tbsp. Chili powder, or to your taste (I use a variety - Ancho, New Mexico, & California - but you can use whatever you have)
1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, and season with the seasonings. I generally don't measure seasonings, because I've become accustomed to how much seasoning I like on my food. I guessed the measurements above, so if it's too much or too little, just adjust to your taste.

Saute the mushroom until they begin to soften and release some of their moisture. Next, add the peppers and onions. You can add more seasoning, but the veggies will grab some from the mushrooms, and the flavors will all start to marry pretty well, so you may not need to.

When the veggies and mushrooms are softened, it is ready to serve. Warm up some tortillas either in the microwave or on a griddle, and then spoon the mixture on top. If you're not vegan, or you're not afraid of a teensy bit of fat, put some sour cream on there, too! It's so good!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!

No comments: